As of 1st June 2008 new laws apply to operators of underground fuel storage tanks. The laws are administered under the Protection of the Environment Operations (Underground Petroleum Storage Systems) Regulation 2008.
There are requirements for old UPSS Systems (those in operating prior to June 2008) and new UPSS systems installed post June 2008. The regulations require management and environmental monitoring procedures to be in place by June 2009 and June 2011.
As of June 2009 it will be an offence to operate an underground storage system without an Environmental Protection Plan (EPP). Although not an exhaustive list of requirements major components of the EPP include:
· Details of those responsible for operating the UPSS
· Detailed site map
· Spill Response Plans and Spill Notification Procedures
· Incident Management Procedures and Recording
· Maintenance Schedule
· Details of UPPS Leak Detection Monitoring
As of June 2011 it will be an offence to operate an underground storage tank without a system of groundwater monitoring. Groundwater monitoring requirements include:
· Installation of groundwater wells by an experienced consultant
· Groundwater monitoring installation reporting
· Analytical testing of groundwater for contamination
· Ongoing groundwater monitoring program
· Incident reporting procedures
Fuel Management Solutions (UPSS Specialist) and Geo-Logix (Environmental Consultants) have the combined expertise to bring your Depot up to compliance with the new Regulations (2008).If you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact either Lisa Hodson (0411 469 568) or David Gregory (0401 307 890).